Topic 3: 7 Money Mistakes I’d Never Make Again
I lost thousands of dollars before I turned thirty, and every single mistake was completely avoidable if only someone had warned me sooner.
Money doesn't come with an instruction manual, and most of us learn the hard way through bad decisions, wasted paychecks, and moments of pure panic. I've made plenty of financial mistakes in my life, but these seven taught me lessons I will never forget, and they still shape how I handle every rupee today, years later. If you're making any of these right now, this video might just save you years of stress and thousands of dollars, so stick around till the end because number one honestly changed everything for me, and it might do the same for you too.
7. Not Having Any Financial Goals.
For years, I earned money without any real plan for where it should go. I wasn't saving for anything specific, I wasn't investing with a purpose, I was just existing paycheck to paycheck without any real direction at all, drifting from one month to the next without a plan. Without clear goals, every extra dollar felt like it was meant to be spent immediately, because what else was it there for anyway, right? The moment I finally set actual goals, like building an emergency fund, hitting a specific investment target, or saving for a future purchase I truly cared about, my spending habits changed naturally on their own, almost overnight. Having a clear reason behind my money made saving feel purposeful instead of restrictive, and it gave every single paycheck a real job to do instead of just disappearing into nothing, month after month without me even realizing it.
6. Avoiding Money Conversations Out of Fear.
For a long time, talking about money made me deeply uncomfortable, even with the people closest to me in life. I avoided discussing salaries, debts, or financial goals because it always felt awkward or embarrassing to bring up in conversation, almost taboo. This silence actually cost me real opportunities over time that I couldn't ever get back, no matter how hard I tried to fix it later. I missed out on better job offers because I never negotiated my salary with confidence, and I made financial decisions completely alone that could have been so much smarter with honest advice from others around me who actually cared. Once I started having open and honest conversations about money, whether with mentors, friends, or family members, I gained a perspective I never had before, and it genuinely improved almost every choice I made afterward, from budgeting to investing to even how I saved for the future.
5. Investing Based on Hype, Not Research.
I once put money into something simply because everyone around me was talking about it nonstop, day and night, on every group chat. Friends were excited, social media was buzzing with posts, and I didn't want to feel left out or miss the opportunity everyone else seemed to be grabbing without any hesitation at all. I never actually researched what I was investing in or took time to understand the real risks involved in that decision, and it definitely showed later on. When the value eventually dropped, I panicked and pulled out at a painful loss, learning a hard lesson about chasing trends instead of making informed, calculated decisions based on facts and patience rather than fear. Now, before I invest a single dollar anywhere, I take the time to understand it properly first, even if that means waiting weeks before acting on it. If I can't explain it simply to someone else in plain words, I simply don't put my money into it at all, no matter how tempting or trendy it looks at the time.
4. Never Tracking Where My Money Went.
For the longest time, I genuinely had no idea where my paycheck actually disappeared to every single month, and it honestly frustrated me. I would get paid, feel rich for about a week, and then wonder by the middle of the month why my account was nearly empty again without any clear reason in sight at all. Small purchases, subscriptions I completely forgot about, and random takeout orders all added up silently in the background without me ever noticing the pattern forming until it was too late. The moment I finally started tracking every single expense, even the tiny ones that seemed harmless at first, I was genuinely shocked at how much money was leaking out on things that added no real value to my life whatsoever, month after month. That simple awareness alone completely changed how I spent money from that point forward, and it still helps me stay disciplined today, even years later.
3. Using Credit Cards Like Free Money.
I remember getting my first credit card and feeling like I had unlocked some kind of unlimited money source that would never run dry, no matter what. I swiped it constantly for things I didn't even need, convincing myself I would pay it off "next month" without fail, every single time without exception or hesitation. Next month turned into three months, then six, and suddenly I was drowning in interest charges that cost me far more than the original purchases were ever worth in the first place. Credit cards aren't extra income, they're simply borrowed money with a price tag quietly attached to it that grows bigger and bigger the longer you ignore it. Once I truly understood that, I started using credit only for things I could already afford in cash, and I paid off the full balance every single month without exception from that point on, permanently and without regret.
2. Ignoring My Savings Completely.
For years, saving felt like something I would start "later," once I earned more or once life somehow settled down on its own, whichever came first, if ever. But life never really settles down, and later never comes automatically by itself no matter how long you patiently wait for it to arrive on its own. I used to think saving was only for people with big salaries, not realizing that even small amounts add up significantly over time if you simply stay consistent and patient with it. When an unexpected expense hit, like a medical bill or a broken laptop, I had absolutely zero cushion to fall back on during that crisis, and it genuinely terrified me. That stress taught me that saving isn't about how much you earn, it's about building the habit early, even if it's just a small percentage set aside each and every month without fail, rain or shine.
1. Spending Before I Even Earned It.
There was a time when I lived paycheck to paycheck, not because I didn't earn enough money, but because I spent it before it even landed in my account in the first place, every single time. I would plan purchases around my next salary, convincing myself it was totally fine since the money was "already coming" anyway, so why wait around for it patiently. This habit kept me trapped in a cycle where I never had any breathing room to relax financially or think clearly about my future, always one step behind. The moment an emergency showed up unexpectedly, I had nothing saved and had to borrow money just to survive the rest of the month, which only made everything worse and more stressful. Now I follow one simple rule that I never break under any circumstance: I never spend money I don't already have sitting in hand. It sounds basic, but this one shift alone completely changed my entire relationship with money for good, permanently and completely.
Looking back, none of these mistakes were really about bad luck or bad income, they were about habits and awareness all along, nothing more complicated than that at the core of it all. The good news is that every single one of them is fixable, no matter where you're starting from today or how far behind you currently feel right now. If even one of these hit close to home while watching this video, take that as your sign to make a real change right now, not later, not tomorrow, today, this very moment. Save this video, revisit it whenever you need a reminder, and start building better money habits one small step at a time, one honest day at a time, at your own pace. If this helped you even a little, share it with someone who needs to hear it too, because they might be going through exactly what you went through not long ago, silently.
Comments
Post a Comment