Topic 3: 7 Money Mistakes I’d Never Make Again
Money simply doesn't come with a manual. Most of us learn the hard way, by losing it first and figuring things out only after the damage is already done. Over the years I've made plenty of mistakes with my own money, and some of them cost me more time, sleep, and stress than I'd like to admit, even now. Today I'm sharing the seven biggest ones, one by one, starting from the smallest mistake and building up to the one that changed everything for me. If you can avoid these, you'll save yourself years of frustration and get ahead a lot faster than I did, without needing to learn everything the hard way like I had to. None of these mistakes are complicated, they're just easy to fall into without realizing it, and that's exactly why so many people repeat them for years.
7. Spending Before Saving.
For a long time, I paid every bill, bought everything I wanted, and only saved whatever happened to be left at the end of the month. The problem is, there was almost never anything left over at all. Money has a sneaky way of disappearing on small things you don't even remember buying, a coffee here, a random online order there, a subscription you forgot you even had. The fix is simple but incredibly powerful: pay yourself first. The moment your paycheck arrives, move a fixed amount straight into savings before you touch it for anything else at all. Even a small percentage, ten percent or even five, adds up faster than you'd expect over a full year. You stop relying on willpower to save whatever happens to be left over, because in real life, there's rarely anything left over by the end of the month. This one habit alone changed how I looked at every single paycheck that came in after that day.
6. Ignoring a Budget.
I used to think budgets were only for people who were already bad with money. In reality, not having a budget is exactly what made me bad with money in the first place. Without a clear picture of where your cash is actually going, you end up making decisions blindly, guessing instead of knowing. You feel like you're doing fine right up until the bank balance tells you otherwise, usually at the worst possible time, like right before rent is due. A simple budget, even one written on paper or tracked in a basic free app, shows you exactly how much comes in, how much goes out, and where you can quietly cut back without even feeling it in daily life. It's not about restriction or punishing yourself, it's simply about awareness. Once you can actually see your money laid out clearly in front of you, you naturally start making smarter choices without having to force yourself into it. It takes maybe ten minutes a week, and it saves you from a lot of nasty surprises later on, especially when unexpected bills show up out of nowhere.
5. Using Credit Cards Without a Plan.
Credit cards felt like free money when I first got one, almost like a cheat code for buying things. I swiped without thinking twice, telling myself I'd pay it off later once things calmed down. Later turned into months of paying only the minimum, while interest quietly ate away at everything I owned and worked for. Credit cards themselves aren't the real problem here, they're just a tool like any other. The actual mistake is using one without a clear plan to pay the full balance every single month, no exceptions. If you can't pay it off in full, you're basically borrowing money at a very high cost, and that cost grows faster than most people ever realize, until the bill finally arrives and it's much bigger than expected. Now I only put on my card what I already have sitting in my bank account, and I pay it off in full every single time without exception.
4. Not Building an Emergency Fund.
I once had to borrow money just for a simple car repair, because I had absolutely nothing saved up at the time. That one uncomfortable moment taught me more about money than any book ever could have. Life throws surprises at everyone eventually, medical bills, sudden job loss, urgent home or car repairs, and if you have no cushion at all, every single surprise turns into a full blown crisis instead of a minor bump in the road. An emergency fund isn't about being pessimistic or constantly expecting the worst, it's simply about being prepared for whatever life throws your way. Even a small fund covering just one month of basic expenses can be the difference between a stressful, sleepless setback and a small inconvenience you barely even notice. Start small if you have to, build it slowly and steadily, but build it before you actually need it, not after, because emergencies never wait for a convenient time to show up, they always seem to arrive at the worst possible moment.
3. Investing Without Learning.
Early on, I put money into things simply because someone online said they were making huge returns fast. I didn't understand what I was actually investing in, how it worked, or what could go wrong, and I paid the price for that ignorance more than once, painfully. Investing without any real knowledge is closer to gambling than it is to actually building wealth over time. Before putting your money anywhere at all, take the time to understand how it truly works, what the real risks are, and whether it genuinely fits your goals and timeline. You don't need to become a full expert overnight, honestly nobody does, but you do need to know the basics before handing over your hard earned money to any investment someone else casually recommends online. A few hours of learning can save you from years of regret, and it also helps you sleep better at night knowing exactly where your money is going.
2. Letting Lifestyle Grow With Income.
Every time I earned more, I somehow spent more too, almost without even noticing it happen in real time. A raise meant a nicer phone, a bigger apartment, more eating out with friends every single week. It felt like real progress at the time, but my savings never actually grew, no matter how much my income did climb over the years. This is one of the sneakiest money mistakes out there, because it feels good in the moment and looks like real success from the outside looking in. The real win isn't spending more as you earn more, it's keeping your expenses steady and letting the gap between income and spending grow instead, year after year. That growing gap is what actually builds real wealth over time, not a bigger paycheck that sits in your account for barely two days a month before disappearing into bills and habits you barely notice.
1. Not Setting Clear Financial Goals.
For years, I simply saved and spent without any real direction, just reacting to whatever came up in the moment. I had no clear idea what I was actually working toward, so money never really felt like it had a true purpose beyond just paying the bills each month. Once I finally sat down and set clear goals, saving for a house, building an investment fund, becoming completely debt free once and for all, everything changed almost overnight. Suddenly every single decision had a real reason behind it, and saying no to unnecessary spending became easy instead of painful and guilt inducing. Goals turn vague wishes into a real, actionable plan you can actually follow step by step, month after month. Without them, even good money habits eventually fade away over time, because there's nothing pulling you forward or keeping you motivated once things get hard. Out of everything on this list, this one mistake affected me the most, more than any of the others combined.
That's it for today's video. If any of these seven mistakes sound a little too familiar, don't worry, it's genuinely not too late to fix them starting today. None of us get taught this stuff in school, so making mistakes along the way is completely normal, what matters is what you do next. Start with just one small change this week, and let it slowly build momentum from there, one step at a time. Small, simple shifts add up to big results over time, more than most people expect when they first begin. If this video helped you even a little, drop a like, subscribe for more videos just like this one, and let me know in the comments which of these mistakes you're still working on. I'll see you in the very next video.
Comments
Post a Comment